Monday, September 04, 2006

4 reasons I am proud to be Labour (Westminister)

I know that I have had a few blog entries here bashing the New "Labour" government, however I am a Labour supporter and I do believe that even this New "Labour" government with it's many flaws has done a lot of good for Britain since 1997.

There is also a reason why I mentioned Westminister in brackets, and that is because of devolution and the differences betwen the Labour government in Westminister, Welsh Labour government in the Welsh Assembly and the Scottish Labour government in the Scottish Parliament, and I will mention my reasons why I am proud of Labour in the Welsh Assembly in a later blog entry. (probably tomorrow)

Anyway, here are my 4 reasons why I am proud of be Labour and proud of the New "Labour" government in Westminister, despite for all its flaws and mistakes:

1) Introduction the National Minimum Wage

This must have been one of the most important things that the New "Labour" government has done for the worse off in Britain. This ensured that working people were now entitled to have a minimum level of income and were no longer subjected to wages that were ridiculously low wages. The minimum wage is also raising at a reasonable level. We cannot have masses leaps because that would damage the economy, but slow, low increases that are measured and reasonable can be done with little risk to economic stablitiy. This would have NEVER happend under a Tory government, nor would the Lib Dems ever had introduced such a thing. The minimum wage, Labour's minimum wage has helepd raise the standrd of living for many people, and helped pull much out of poverty in the UK.

2) Workers now enjoy four weeks’ paid holiday, at least one day off per week and decent rest breaks.

This is again another helped more people spend more time with their families, because now they can take time off work without risk of not having an income during the time off. This is a strengthing of workers rights which any Labour government should do and should be proud of doing.

3) New mothers have 26 weeks' paid maternity leave, fathers 2 weeks' paid paternity leave.

Again like the above reasons it is strengthing the family and workers rights, ensuring that both mothers and fathers have some time to look after a new born baby and still have an income, so parents do not have to make the hard choice of looking after a new born baby or going to work and getting some income to the family.

4) £200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & extra £100 for over 80s

I know that many OAPs scoff at the governments efforts to help the pensioners. However Labour has done a lot to tackle pensioner poverty, especally fuel poverty, and the government is not credited enough for this.


Labour has still done a lot since 1997 and has made Britain a better and stronger place, with thier social justice policies, economic stablilty and measures to tackle crime, and I am proud of Labour.

I will have what makes me proud of the Welsh Assembly Governmnet and makes me proud of be Welsh Labour tomorrow, and believe me I think there is a lot of Labour in Wales has to be proud of.

Random Fact:

After a crash that plane's flight number is removed from the list of available numbers so no plane will ever carry it again.






2 Comments:

At 8:40 pm , Blogger Bob Piper said...

Hi Geraint... Like the blog. However, it's Councillor... not Councilor and Sandwell... not Standwell. I'll add you to the blogroll as soon as I get around to it.

 
At 1:19 am , Blogger Geraint said...

Sorry about that, I do suffer from something simular to dyslexia, I will correct my mistake though.

Thanks for the comments.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home